Thursday, May 29, 2008

I've been super busy... but here are some quick thoughts

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime".

I hope the last post:
It PAYS to be Trendy was helpful. It did not recommend individual stocks but it just might be the most valuable post so far. The concepts there can be applied to all stocks in all markets all the time. Especially in markets like this one where the fundamentals are so rotten that the smart people are looking for some sort of rules to play by so they can make the cha-ching...

The long-term bull market posts are/will also be very valuable especially when put into the context of the trends post. You see a long term bull market, back it up with a super trend like a POT chart, and bingo! you have a winner to look for on any significant pullbacks. You know what's even better than finding an uptrending sector like food/fertilizers? Finding a sector like food/fertilizers a year or more ago. You'll come to know what I mean by this. Not on this post though... I just ducked in to post something quick here.

Let me say something about SDTH as I have talked a lot about this co. The convertible notes were priced just under 10 and offer a very generous 6% rate of return if/until converted. My first thought? How the heck can I buy these things? I contacted IR and... only institutions are allowed the privilege. For everyone else? Up to $125M dollars, $9.94 per share... means 12.5M new shares. 12.5M/54.2M current shares means dilution of 23%... but this is over the period going into 2018...

Takeaway: They want money to grow the NPCC business and/or chemical/coal acquisitions and they want it bad. This is a sweet deal for the institutions. If the money is used properly it could also be very sweet for long term investors as the dilution could be much more than made up for with increased earnings over time. The key question: Can these institutions dump the shares in the near future (i.e. as soon as the price goes to 9.95 etc.) or will they have to wait? They may want to anyway as SDTH could easily be a 10 bagger or more by 2018... but near term in this market this adds some additional uncertainty and risk... and could add more resistance at the already triple top of 10. I got stopped out/traded out of SDTH for a profit twice (three times if one goes back to Oct) and I am happy with that for now until/unless more news is released. That being said... I will be watching this company like a hawk as the potential longer term is HUGE....

On other fronts...
Let's look at some important earnings of companies that I have been following:
COST
DLTR

I want to watch their earnings to confirm the strength of the US recession bull market. These include stocks like...
COST WMT CVS OSTK CSH BIG and others. I may do a post specifically on this industry at some point. Many of these have run already but continue to look closely for pullbacks (like the garbage attempt by an "analyst" to knock down CSH so that the big boys could gain an entry point.) Think about... do it yourself and cheap essential goods are likely to become hotter and hotter as this economy turns further south. Have you been into Costco recently? It's like a wild people zoo... So if they still don't blow the cover off the ball then I want to know why not!
***update... after writing this post COST released earnings early... and ba-boom!!! Nice!

Some other stocks/etf's I've been watching:
SIGM- reports. People are worried because MOT is struggling and they get a lot of business from MOT. MOT may be somewhat of an issue but that is way way baked into the price imo. In a different market I'm fully invested here. In this one I'm content to watch for the moment.

I took a class at UCLA on nanotechnology and quantum dots, employed in blu-ray... are just frikkin awesome. The technology here has the potential to make screen pictures look so real that you can barely tell that they aren't... SIGM and SONY are the big winners on this one. And then there is IPTV... backed by MSFT... this will be the future... an entertainment network linked through the power of the computer and the internet... don't ask me ask Bill Gates... and in Asia and Europe they are already way ahead of us in this... Let's see what SIGM does ... I'm curious for sure and like the long term story very much.

SRS
Commercial real estate is now starting to show signs of slowing as well in the US. SRS shorts REITs and stands to do well. I was watching the chart and it DID NOT BREAK THROUGH RESISTANCE but if it SHOOTS THROUGH WITH VOLUME it's got a nice long way to go... (URE on the other hand held support... )... you know what I mean...

SKF... watching this one... if the fed does not act as they have the underlying rot of the financials will make this a winner. Have to trust the charts because it's too tough to judge what Ben is going to do regardless of what he says now...

Others on the watch list too... many others... but that's for another time...
Oh one more thing: Soros says oil prices largely due to speculation. Who are you going to believe? Paulson or Soros?

Man I gotta get some sleep. The post went on longer than I thought but there is still so much more to say... I just have lots of other work to do at the moment and that's the priority until it gets a bit slower...

This blog is for informational purposes only. It does not give investment advice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SDTH and CSH are on my radar.
Check out the trend charts for "cash america" and "pawn shop" on google.com/trends